Saturday 14 June 2014

How I Clean My Brushes







I thought it was about time that I wrote a little post about my deep cleaning brush routine. There's nothing revolutionary here, and I think it's a popular way of doing things, but I always love reading this type of blog post.

So I'm not the best at getting round to cleaning my brushes that regularly. There's always something going on, so I try to deep clean my brushes on a Sunday every 3-4 weeks. I also spot clean them, but they can be pretty grubby when I get around to doing them. 

For this reason I tend to wash my brushes in two steps. So the first thing I do is give them a wash with Johnson's Baby Shampoo, I pop them under the tap and then whirl them in the baby shampoo in my hands. This gets rid of the first part of the dirt, I do this to all the brushes. Then for a more deeper clean I switch to the Dr Bronner's Magic Soap. I use the unscented soap as this means the brush has no scent, so then there's no risk of irritation to my skin. I drip the soap into the brushes and leave them for 4-5 minutes. This gives the soap some time to break down the makeup in the brushes. I then swirl the brush with the soap in my hands and rinse with water. I repeat this step and by now my brushes are super clean. I lay them out on a towel for 5-10 minutes, this allows any excess water to drip out on to the towel and then I lay them on my windowsill to dry.

And that's it, they normally are completely dry in a few hours (especially when it's nice and sunny) and then they are clean and ready to use. Nothing beats applying your makeup with a set of clean brushes, it's the best feeling! 
Share:
© Hope, Freedom, Love | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig