Friday 7 November 2014

Tower of London Remembers | Lifestyle











When I planned to visit London on Tuesday, I had a couple of hours to kill, so I scheduled a couple of tourist things to check out.  I knew instantly that I wanted to visit the poppies. I think most people have heard about the poppies at the Tower, but just in case, I wanted to share them with you.

This year to mark 100 years since the First World War, the Tower of London has a special installation. The installation is called ‘Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red’ and features 888,246 ceramic poppies. The Tower began installing them during the summer and they have progressively filled the entire mount around the grounds. Every poppy represents a British military fatality during the war.

You've probably heard on the news that the installation has been really popular! Even when I went at 4pm on a Tuesday evening, the entire grounds were packed and it's hard to get close. When you approach the Tower you can just see a sea of red, but as you get closer you can see all the lovely detail that has gone into each one. 

The bad news? You only have until November 11th to check this out! If you cannot make it to London, why not buy a poppy from a local shop or place a donation online!
Share:
© Hope, Freedom, Love | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig